Sunday, November 15, 2009

Groups of Dogs

There are seven different groups of dogs:

Herding
A collie is a herding dog.  Herding dogs are dogs that love to be out in the field herding sheep and/or goats.  I would have a herding dog because when I grow up I would like to live on a farm with lots of animals.





















Hounds
A beagle is a type of a hound.  Hounds do a lot of sniffing.  Sniffing for people, pets and sometimes bugs, but not usually.  I might get a hound but I would get one that doesn't howl very much.  Because beagles howl like "Howoooo, arrhoooo, arrrhooo".




















=


Non-sporting
A Boston Terrier is a non-sporting dog.  Even though the group name is non-sporting, you still have to play games with it and such.   






















Sporting
Sporting dogs are very active as their name implies.  You can play fetch, catch, chase and race.




















Terriers
Terriers are on the small side for dogs.  But there are some that get big.  I would own a terrier, but I like other types of dogs better. 





















Toy
An example of a toy dog is a miniature pinscher (aka minpin).  I love saying minpin.  Toy dogs think they are a lot bigger than they are.  So they take on big dogs with a "You want a piece of me!"  




















Working
This is an Akita dog.   Working dogs are usually big dogs.  BIG dogs.   Some working dog jobs are:  search and rescue, pulling, and some more.  



1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thanks for explaining groups of dogs. I knew there were many different kinds of dogs, but never thought of what kinds of groups they might fit into. My girls love dogs too. We just met the cutest shar-pei dog in Vermont this weekend. He knows all the trails near Camp Joseph and even led all of our kids on a hike! He had so much loose, baggy skin that recently he needed surgery so he could see and hear! I love his name--Ghengis. What kind of a group would a shar-pei fit into? I'm not sure, but my girls tell me shar-peis were bred in China to hunt pandas. Their baggy skin prevented them from getting hurt by a panda's bite. My girls would really love to have a dog too. What do you think is the best dog for a family?

    ReplyDelete